Saturday, February 26, 2011

Who is this motivated person in the mirror?

And where has she been all my life? I've had gym memberships, been on diets, had great success with home workout programs, but they've never stuck. I have spent my life looking for excuses not to work out... not to make the good nutritional choice. I spent a number of years living my life looking forward to the next meal. Then, at 265 pounds, I went on a disciplined eating and exercise plan and lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks. You would think that reward would have kept me motivated, but it didn't. I never went back to either. 
The goal was always loosing weight... never getting fit. I would dread every workout even though I knew I would feel great afterward. I would look forward to reaching a weight goal so I could go back to my old eating habits. I would make sure I was too busy to work out... my kids... my job... life.
What changed? Why do I WANT to work out now. Why do I throw away half a bowl of ice cream? Beachbody. It started with Shakeology which I thought would be a good meal replacement and help me loose weight. I had seen sooooo many of the ingredients touted as weight-loss aids (Acai, apple pectin, prebiotics, green tea, blue-green algae, chromium, cinnamon, flax seed, ,,,). What I didn't see coming is how it made me feel. After the first month, my muscles started craving action. I wanted to get up and move. I searched all around for the 10-Minute-Trainer DVDs I had stuck somewhere. I was doing Zumba. I was wii boxing. I realized I was ready for a more intense program, but still intimidated by P90X. So, I opted for ChaLEAN Extreme. I've always enjoyed lifting weights (just not motivated to go somewhere to do it).
I joined Beachbody as a coach in order to get the discount on my Shakeology. What I got was motivation. It's not just the desire to get up and do something physical. Every day I log into the Beachbody site to log my workouts, I see pictures of people who have made it all the way. People who were fat like me and are now thin, muscular, and HEALTHY.  My husband is also started working out with me. Not because he is into health or concerned with his weight, but because he wanted to grow our Beachbody business. That's OK! After a couple of weeks, he is seeing how good it feels to have muscles... how much easier life is when your body is strong. 
My focus has totally shifted. Yes, I still look forward to being thin again, but it's not the end.
Now... I need to go work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment